Teacherovi's English Forum

Announcement

Hi! Essays can be posted here only by those who choose not to do the class assignments on paper. If you need help using the website check out this video: Cum sa folosesti forumul de engleza. Use your time wisely!

User info

Welcome, Guest! Please login or register.

You are here » Teacherovi's English Forum » Everyday stuff » An argument in my family

An argument in my family

Posts 1 to 6 of 6

I really enjoy having my family around me and I love those big gatherings that happen like once a year when the whole family is present and they eat and talk. Sometimes during these gatherings someone starts a really fiery discussion and my grandfather who is very impulsive gets drunk and start.... talking stupid things and this year I was the one who started the argument which was a really really  really bad idea.
It’s 4 p.m. and I have to be at my grandfather’s place at 5 because if I’m not on time he makes fun of me not being able to be punctual and he’s right I’m never on time I’m always running late but I can’t manage to get my thinks together. This time I’m on time but I don’t know how I’m still the last one who arrives. I greet everyone and take a seat between my great-grandmother and my aunt who I love so much because she’s such a sweet person and she always gives me good advice and she takes care that I behave like a good person.
I saw that my grandfather was drinking a little too much but I couldn’t stop him and I don’t know where this discussion began but I suddenly hear that my grandpa is talking about teenagers and how we shouldn’t have access to sex education because it makes our mind dirty. I tried to stay calm but I couldn’t so I started yelling and suddenly no one was talking and everyone was listening to what I had to say. I told my grandfather how bad ..... is to not have access to sex education and how many girls become pregnant at 15 or 16 years and how many boys don’t understand some things about their body. I was really surprised because my grandfather never listens to what I’m saying and ......he feels really good saying the opposite of what I said. After this long speech I left the room being angry of what happened and seeing how my grandfather saw things. My aunt followed me and told me that what I did was amazing I’ve managed to capture a lot of people’s attention and then I realized that it wasn’t important what my grandfather thought about sex education it was more important what teenagers like me think about that.
I talked to my grandpa a few day.... later because he called to apologize and I was really surprise.... because he never apologizes. I realized that it’s impossible to be perfect but it’s not impossible to admit that you’ve made a mistake. Of course I forgave him because I wasn’t even that mad at the time he called.
I hope everyone can learn something from this lesson and remember it’s not a shame to apologize or to admit that you are wrong and I know I am very conceited and I’m working on that and I’m becoming a better person so if you know you can’t apologize or accept that you are wrong figure it out why and try to improve.

Last edited by BlueMoon03 (2019-01-26 00:35:40)

Hey!I respect you for what you did.It's amazing that you had the courage to be open with your grandpa and tell him your opinion.You are a straight foward and very honest person and that is an amazing quality to have.Congratz!!I liked the way you sustained your point of view by being honest and by describing things in a well manner.Good job!

Hola again! I really like how you think and the way you see those kind of things. If I was in your place I would never have the courage to say everything I think in front of a lot of people especially if they are older than me or they are family members. I admire what you did and the courage  , nowadays older people do not listen or believe anything that a teenager have to say because they start with the premise that it's wrong and we don't know how to proceed...even if it's not like that.Congratulations for what you did  and if you meet another person who think like that you should do the same.

Last edited by Galapagos (2019-01-24 12:14:04)

Hi!Let me say..wow,you are such a brave person.I could't ever express my feelings and thoughts like you did,especially in front of my family.Well done!

I really enjoy reading your texts. Not only that your writing is amazing, but the stoty line is too. I'm really happy that you stood up and said what you hac in mind even though is was your family. Sometimes we just have to remember that just because someone is older or respected, his or hers point of view isn't always correct. Keep up the good work! I can't wait to read more!

Last edited by Username Not Found 13 (2019-01-25 12:24:14)

Wow! Super story! I like it very much, oh, at some point you made a sentence too long, but it isn't that bad. I like how brave and very sure you were when you talk in front of your family and that you spoke to the audiance and gave advice.

You are here » Teacherovi's English Forum » Everyday stuff » An argument in my family