Teacherovi's English Forum

Announcement

Hi! Essays can be posted here only by those who choose not to do the class assignments on paper. If you need help using the website check out this video: Cum sa folosesti forumul de engleza. Use your time wisely!

User info

Welcome, Guest! Please login or register.

You are here » Teacherovi's English Forum » Everyday stuff » Describe a movie/series character

Describe a movie/series character

Posts 1 to 3 of 3

"Dracula" is a movie directed by a famous film-maker Francis Coppola, based on the omonymous novel written by Bram Stocker. It retells the famous story about the legendary vampire,Count  Vlad Dracula, who escapes from Transilvania and travels to London with the help of the main character, Jonathan Harker. There, mystic and strange things begin to happen as Mr. Harker, along with three friends and his fiancee, Mina, tries to stop and prevent the Count from killing lots of people by drinking their blood.
   The main character of the movie is, of course, Count Dracula, amazingly played by Gary Oldman. At the beginning of the movie, Dracula is shown as being a very old vampire, with long grey hair, arranged in a peculiar hairstyle, wearing luxurious antique clothes and living in a massive castle in the Carpathians. He has very sharp white teeth, as well as extremely long pointed nails and a strongly wrinkled face, showing off his advanced age of aproximatively 400 years. Later on, when he finallly makes his way to fresh blood, he becomes much younger and handsomer, revealing his beautiful long black curls, a pretty black moustache and powerful black eyes, altogether with glamorous costumes. During the movie, he oftenly turns into animals such as a wolf or a bat, or even into the mist, so he definetely has a lot of "appearances".
   All these little details actually contribute to his sly, manipulative and a bit psychotic behaviour. He is always shown as a charming, but a very cunning, evil and even rageous person who often tricks men and seduces women in order to kill them all and fulfill his constantly desperate need of fresh blood. Concerning his relationship with other characters, he definetely fears Mr. Van Helsing, a famous doctor who is interested in dark matters and all his companions, including Jonathan Harker, who will eventually try to kill him. However, he develops a highly-emotional bond (based on his manipulation as well, unfortunately) with Harker's fiancee and then wife, Mina. Earlier in the movie, it's mentioned that Mina ressembles very much Vlad's wife, Elisabeta, who died in the 14th century; that is why Dracula tries to protect her and turn her into a vampire, so he could live beside her for all his life.
   All in all, Count Dracula seems to be a controversial character. On the one hand, he is the Evil himself, cunning as a fox, scary and stone-hearted. On the other hand, he is still able to feel pure emotions like love or devotion towards the woman he's in love with. And that's why I love this character so much, either in the movie and in the book!

Last edited by aphrodite_15 (2019-10-23 07:30:25)

This is a really good description of the character, it really covered everything! Now I feel like I totally know the guy, even though I've never really read the books or saw the movies (I don't know why, though). Great great piece.

Amazing character description! I could even picture Dracula in my head, without having seen the movie. Not only that, but you also delved into character analysis, which is great. Your composition actually convinced me that this is a movie worth watching. Thank you for that!

You are here » Teacherovi's English Forum » Everyday stuff » Describe a movie/series character