Teacherovi's English Forum

Announcement

Hi! Essays can be posted here only by those who choose not to do the class assignments on paper. If you need help using the website check out this video: Cum sa folosesti forumul de engleza. Use your time wisely!

User info

Welcome, Guest! Please login or register.

You are here » Teacherovi's English Forum » Everyday stuff » A festival

A festival

Posts 1 to 4 of 4

I have always been interested in the Japanese culture and wanted to visit the country of the rising sun at least once in my life. A few months ago I received news of a student exchange program that included Japan as one of the choices. I talked with my parents and they agreed to ship me to Japan in a wooden box. A joke of course. The exchange took place in spring which meant that I would get to see the Sakura festival! An event that celebrates the blooming of the Japanese cherry blossoms. And after a long exhausting trip I arrived at my new temporary traditional residence in Kyoto! I was overwhelmed by the multitude of things I couldn’t even comprehend, starting from the confusing language to the extraordinary landscape and the situation itself. It was gorgeous! And so well timed! Just the next day the festival began. Like I expected, the celebration was beautiful. The pink cherry flowers from the trees formed an arch all the way up the Heian shrine. The paved pathway that lead up to the hill was filled with stands with games, trinkets or all kinds of traditional foods. The boys and girls were walking around in couples dressed in colorful and beautifully patterned kimonos and yukatas. The sounds of people laughing and wooden sandals hitting the road we’re filling my ears along with the calm and delicate music coming from the koto. Everything was like a dream and I felt like I was flying of joy and even the atmosphere was so peaceful that I felt inclined to pinch myself to check if I’m still alive and kicking.
In the end I wished that I could stop time just to have that scenery to myself forever. Even so, the memory is still embedded in my heart and mind.

Last edited by teacherovi (2019-06-05 11:55:35)

i feel, but this is more just personal opinion, that a dynamic description would've worked better in this context. imagine, starting with a falling cherry flower then zooming out, seeing the bigger picture, seeing yourself walking in amazement through that beautiful scenery

Hi! I just read about your experience in Japan. I find it fascinating and I'm glad you had the courage to go on such a trip. Now I'm curious about this festival and I want to attend and visit this country with so many things to show. Congratulations on the initiative to go there even if it was all unknown to you and thank you for sharing something about it with us.

Beautifully described! I wish I could experience such a magical festival. It isn’t like anything else I have ever heard of. I loved how you made me imagine all those breathtaking images. Keep writing and can’t wait to see what you write of next!

You are here » Teacherovi's English Forum » Everyday stuff » A festival