Teacherovi's English Forum

Announcement

Hi! Essays can be posted here only by those who choose not to do the class assignments on paper. If you need help using the website check out this video: Cum sa folosesti forumul de engleza. Use your time wisely!

User info

Welcome, Guest! Please login or register.

You are here » Teacherovi's English Forum » Unusual » 1823, Montreuil

1823, Montreuil

Posts 1 to 2 of 2

34 years after the start of the French Revolution

There once was a girl named Cosette, whose face was always careworn - just the same as all the French that period - and who had the same dream every night. She never had problems sleeping as she couldn't even find one moment to rest in the temptresses' house. The were lots of vile things to do for an orphan girl of irrefutable beauty in a place like that: there were strict rules she had to follow such as remaining unseen and unheard all day while sweeping, dusting, cleaning, washing, brushing and so on. She converted the dream into a song which she bore in her heart every painful day and which she sang above a whisper - or better said muttered - every time the women were away, leaving her alone.

"There is a castle on a cloud
I like to go there in my sleep
Aren't any floors for me to sweep
Not in my castle on a cloud
There is a lady all in white
Holds me and sings a lullaby
She's nice to see and soft to touch
She says 'Cosette I love you very much'
I know a place where no one cries
Crying at all is not allowed
Not in my castle on a cloud"

You would like it much better if you would hear.......heard . it, trust me! I .....had........ heard it and even sang along with her and, who knows... maybe you'll hear me sing it:)). Of course, no one else knew this dream, no one else heard this song. She would also use this song as her prayer, as she hasn't been taught how to pray. Using those words, she wished for all the pain, the suffering to end right that moment and she really truly believed there were a time and a place where everything bad ends ended. It is indeed if you allow me to say, unusual of a child that age to have the same dream, just one wish, not to mention all the work she was forced to do.

If you are curious, her prayer was heard and when she was 9 years old or so - believe me or not - a man came to rescue her by giving those women the money they wanted in exchange for her. This man was not her father, but he was the man that .......had..... made her mother a promise before she passed away, telling her he would keep Cosette safe. How they met is not important, but know this: the girl learned how to love, dream and pray.

:writing: 435 words

Last edited by othellos78 (2019-05-31 18:37:42)

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised to see a story so heavily based on "Les Misérables". I enjoyed reading the novel as well as your composition. I am still not sure which given topic it is about, but I liked it nonetheless. Keep it up!

You are here » Teacherovi's English Forum » Unusual » 1823, Montreuil