Teacherovi's English Forum

Announcement

Hi! Essays can be posted here only by those who choose not to do the class assignments on paper. If you need help using the website check out this video: Cum sa folosesti forumul de engleza. Use your time wisely!

User info

Welcome, Guest! Please login or register.

You are here » Teacherovi's English Forum » Everyday stuff » An illness

An illness

Posts 1 to 4 of 4

This might seem like a sob story, but to be honest, this is just the first scene that comes to my mind whenever illnesses or such things are mentioned…
It was a normal day for my four years yearold self as my mother picked me up from kinder garden, but on the way home I felt something was weird as she took a call from someone and then started speeding up, that whichwasn’t something she would ever do, being the safest person I have ever met, especially when driving. I remember vividly as her expression changed along with the speed we were going at, I could feel that there was something wrong, but as I was only a child, I couldn’t quite grasp the severity of the situation. When we got home, I saw my mother rushing in, only to finally see my father layingthere on the floor of his bedroom…
I couldn’t quite understand what was going on, but I remember the paramedics rushing into the flat a couple minutes later, as my father could barely speak and my mother’s expression was turning from worry to straight up exasperation. Her hands were shaking, as well as her voice as she told the doctors what had happened. Standing there, my four years yearold brain was only interested in one thing: why were there so many strangers in my house, but before I could ask that burning question out loud, I saw four people taking my father out of his room on a stretcher. I was shocked, like I was aware that I had no idea what was going on, but that feeling faded quickly, as I realized that my father was being taken somewhere and I had no control over it. I was looking around, but nobody noticed me, letting me feel small and alone. After a while of me wondering around and trying to figure out what was going on, someone finally noticed me. It was one of the paramedics. He gave me one of those ‘it will be alright looks’, but to no one’s surprise, my terrified expression didn’t change at all. At that point, all I could think of was how I could go away with my father, so I turned to one of the guys talking to my mother, and told him shyly:
‘I have a boo-boo on my knee you should really take me to the hospital too’
He smiled, pity and fondness mixed in his expression, I was a little girl wanting to follow her dad, and he understood me, but there was nothing he could do. He looked me in the eye, my worry and confusion softening his heart.
‘Just put a band-aid on it’ he whispered to me, as he went out the door. My eyes filled up with tears, but I still smiled as I watched all of the paramedics leave…
That was the moment I realized that even in the darkest of moments........ , the smallest thing can brighten things up just a bit.

Last edited by eye_rolls_and_sarcasm (2019-05-19 22:27:04)

I liked your story a lot. As scary as having an ill parent is, you described the confusion a 4-year-old would experience really well and the little dialogue with the paramedic was cute. Also, your conclusion is something everyone should remember. Keep up the good work!

Well done!!! this is just amazing: the way you described how a kid feels when being separated from their parent/parents. moreover, I really liked that you didn't make it all sad, I mean you knew how to leave us with a smile, in the end :))).
However, I think that you could have added something and have made it a tad longer without spoiling the effect.
Really nice !!

You're so good at this! ^^  Your story was like a scene from a book or from a movie I could see exactly what's what going on there. First I thought it's gonna be a sad story from the beginning till the end but you've found the right end.  :)

You are here » Teacherovi's English Forum » Everyday stuff » An illness