Teacherovi's English Forum

Announcement

Hi! Essays can be posted here only by those who choose not to do the class assignments on paper. If you need help using the website check out this video: Cum sa folosesti forumul de engleza. Use your time wisely!

User info

Welcome, Guest! Please login or register.

You are here » Teacherovi's English Forum » Everyday stuff » For and against gender differences

For and against gender differences

Posts 1 to 6 of 6

Gender differences appears because people tend to treat girls and boys differently since birth. Although in the last decades this hotly debated issue has become less and less important in other civilized countries, in Romania this is a problem we are facing. but why exactly, even after all this time, haven't we changed our minds? What is the cause that still makes us treat girls and boys differently and why does it concerns all of us?
On one hand, gender differences has never been a problem that has completely disappeared. Even after one hundred years, we raise our kids with different values and lifestyles. This happens because some parents, as many other people, believe in stereotypes. Firstly, they consider that girls are more fragile and they should do less physical work, while they have the idea that boys need to be strong and have more authority. This normally happens in the rural areas, where parents treat the kids differently and have that very old idea that these inequalities have to exist between the children, ideas that are out-dated and they do not apply to the advanced society in the urban areas. Moreover, in some situations, Romanian parents even think that girls do not require a good education, whereas the boys have to attend school. These things teaches children even from a young age that there should always be differences between girls and boys. Moreover, this gender gap happens not only at home, but at school or in the workplace. This is also a result of the fact that sometimes harder jobs are given to men, while women are considered incapable of taking care of them. Usually this event happens because of the mentality and we can do nothing to change it.   
On the other hand, people say that these gender differences are something that should not exist anymore. In advanced countries, these stereotypes stay at the base foundationof gender differences. This is something that was a problem one hundred years ago, but nowadays, when we have advanced so much, the difference between the way we treat women and men should not be existent and, by each day, this gap is getting smaller. For example, while some time ago women did not had havethe right to take part in gouverment , now at least half of the politicians are female. Moreover, these days many things from inour daily life are meant to be used by both genders, from clothing to everyday things that we use.
   In conclusion, while some people say that gender differences do not influence [u]the [/u]society and a person lifestyle, others think they are just some stereotypes that we do not need to consider in today modern world.

Last edited by Username Not Found 13 (2019-12-15 19:22:15)

The composition of your essay is very well-made. I believe some stereotypes are true due to the biological-structure of males and females. For example it is known that female representatives see much more of the color spectrum than males and that male representatives have thicker skin due to testosterone and due to xy chromosomes. From a psychological perspective your argument is valid and well-pointed. Thank you for sharing your opinion on this situation.

You are very right and I agree, especially in Romania. Parents tend to protect their girls more while making their boys do more work, like you said in the countryside this happens more often. But what BurntChickenNugget said is true as well so it might not be for simple tradition but for biological-structure.

I strongly agree with you and I believe that this should be a concerning matter for all of us, especially since we are a civilized country. This type of ideologies can’t stick with us if we want to achieve a better country status.

Like you said, gender differences are still a major problem here in Romania. Yes, many things have changed and we are seemingly moving forward but the pace is too slow. The biggest differences between girls and boys are the way they are being treated in schools. Many teachers especially the PE ones feel the need to single out girls and make them feel like they’re opinions don’t matter. Also, I noticed that boys get away with mistakes much easier than girls who are more likely to get punished.

It is true that  small girls and boys are differentiated, which creates a different way of thinking. I'm sure if a boy had grown up as a girl that would have a different perception of life. I would be curious to do an experiment, (not with my children ) but this idea is tempting me. However, I don't agree with the idea that children from the town are grown different from those from the village, it's the same method, but the people in the city are just  seeing their children less often, because of their work. While a village mother deals with the house, this allows her to spend more time with her child.

You are here » Teacherovi's English Forum » Everyday stuff » For and against gender differences