Teacherovi's English Forum

Announcement

Hi! Essays can be posted here only by those who choose not to do the class assignments on paper. If you need help using the website check out this video: Cum sa folosesti forumul de engleza. Use your time wisely!

User info

Welcome, Guest! Please login or register.

You are here » Teacherovi's English Forum » Everyday stuff » Something I saw on TV/online

Something I saw on TV/online

Posts 1 to 3 of 3

I think the internet and social media platforms are far more influential than television is these days. A lot of teens and young people, including myself can say that they stopped watching television years ago. I think we prefer to browse the internet instead of browsing through tv channels because we can relate more. The internet is real, and I think you are more likely to find useful information on websites where real people speak their mind and review things with honesty. Tv programs, especially the news channels are known for being taboo and for hiding behind their big words and serious voices, trying to be as formal as possible. We want the real deal.
Driven by curiosity, I turned on the TV one day to watch some news. I really wanted to know if TV news and internet news are similar. The answer came pretty fast though. The blonde, pretty lady on the screen was presenting the story of a man that has beaten his wife to death and then she followed up with examples of what stupid things kids wrote on the most recent exam. I turned the device off with disappointment. People turned on the TV to see the NEWS. They want to hear what is actually going on in the world, not that a kid from the countryside didn't know the synonym for smart.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that everything on the internet is true but it just has more influence and is more relatable. For example, there is this "trend" right now that I think is the best thing people could talk about right now: how to prevent global warming and pollution; basically how to help our planet by reducing the use of plastic and by using our cars less. The moment I knew there was a problem in the world and that I could help was when I saw a lot of videos of turtles and birds dying by choking on plastic. The videos were not censored-they showed real death and what the real consequence is. It really brought some awareness in my life and I'm really happy I got informed about this huge problem.

I really like the honesty when you talk about TV as no longer having an influence on newer generations.  I think that by only presenting these 'insignificant' stories, TV producers choose easy money without any backlash instead of actually doing their job to present the real things happening and that is hard to change. However, perhaps if this message were expressed more often, then it might actually make some people see that younger generations are sick of everyone ignoring the real life and death issues.

Wow, what you say and every detail about these things are true and in my opinion, it is very sad but with people like you, who maybe share their opinion too will change something in the future about this kind of news on TV, and the production behind the cameras will take measures on these things. Also, I think it is very important for people to know the truth about the news, and I mean good and important news because I saw that what they show us on TV is not always the real true story and they just change a little bit the title just to make it more serious in the wrong way.

You are here » Teacherovi's English Forum » Everyday stuff » Something I saw on TV/online