Teacherovi's English Forum

Announcement

Hi! Essays can be posted here only by those who choose not to do the class assignments on paper. If you need help using the website check out this video: Cum sa folosesti forumul de engleza. Use your time wisely!

User info

Welcome, Guest! Please login or register.

You are here » Teacherovi's English Forum » Unpleasant » The crazy girl

The crazy girl

Posts 1 to 12 of 12

I knew Alice Drop when we were kids, she was four years my senior, and I viewed her as a role model. Alice was smart and deductive, always bored in class, the ‘genius’ most of her classmates envied and all of the teachers loved. Her unique capabilities and high intelligence were noticed when she was very young, and her education had always been ‘the best of the best’, as her mother, Carrie, took pride in mentioning.
Alice changed schools quite often, as her mother was always looking for something challenging enough for her little girl. Carrie loved her daughter, but she had always had a bit of an obsession with keeping Alice on a straight path to success, always afraid that her daughter would lose that talent she clearly possessed. I remember when I was five and desperately wanted to hang out with my then role model, but never could, as she was always in her room, up in the attic, with a workbook for children three years older than her, chewing away pencil after pencil.
I asked her one time, on her tenth birthday, if the wood on her pencil tasted good. It was unusual for me to joke around with her, I usually just tried to copy whatever she was doing, like an annoying little sister. She smiled down at me and told me that one day I’d grow up and learn about stress. I didn’t understand what she meant, but never asked. Instead, I watched her blow in the candles and open the presents: books, pencil cases and one perfectly white shirt. She looked happy. Later that day we ate ice-cream and she told me all about what her new school was like and about everything she had to do. I smiled and then went home. It was one of the last times I saw her.
Slowly, I grew out of my obsession with her, and she grew tired of me always asking about the reason why she had to study all that nonsense. After I moved, we never spoke.
Ten years later, as I once went back to the town I spent my childhood in, I decided to see how she was doing. I was curious about the genius I once idolized. I went to her house and her mother answered the door. When I asked about Alice, she looked down, bursting into tears. She gave me an address and told me it’s too hard for her to come along.
It led me to an asylum. I went in and asked for Alice Drop. She lady smiled, asked if I was a childhood friend, the one that left town. She told me I was one of the few things Alice remembered. She took me to her room, but instead of a young 20 year old, a morbidly skinny girl with bags under her eyes and grey hairs looked back and smiled. I asked the nurse what had happened to the once tall, brilliant brunette I knew. She told me that simply too much pressure made her collapse. I looked back at Alice, comparing the damaged young but aged woman in front of me with the teenager I had last seen her as. Everything was different, except for the eyes, they were still as kind and calm, but the mind behind them was way more tangled.

The ending of your story is really shocking. I know that some parents might exaggerate with the pressure that they put on their child's education, but I didn't imagine that it could lead to such a tragedy. I really feel bad for the kids that have such strict parents. I think that the only thing that they could do is just talk to them, and make their parents understand how overwhelmed and suprasolicited they are.

Wow! Such a well-written story with a powerful message! So many kids have huge burdens on their shoulders, burdens that their own parents created in the attempt to help them succeed. And once in a while, the child breaks down and their life is ruined in a way, while only the caretakers are to blame. It's a shocking truth, which you described wonderfully. Keep up the good work!

I loved it. It speaks to me, especially the part about strict parents. Sometimes school isn’t everything, but adults sometimes forget kids need to be kids from time to time. A sad but a beautiful story.

What a sad story about how we're often forced (by our parents, for example; by the circumstances like spending 6 hours or more at school plus the track we have to do till school, then organizing your time to go to some extra class, to make your homework, to study for that test you're taking tomorrow and so on) to act like adults because we have to be succesful when we're going to be actually adults. Yes, when that time will come, maybe we'll see that the work we did in our childhood/adolescence was much more easier compared to the work we have to do as adults, but that shouldn't encourage our parents or the other older persons to keep making us do so many things that we don't have time for enjoying I don't know, a meeting with our friens or  seeing a movie or other stuff that we would want to do  but we can't...

Parents should encourage their kids, because they are going through a lot of changes and parents are playing a huge role in their development. Strict parents are always focusing on the goal, not on the journey, and it's just too much for a child. I completely understand what Alice was going through. It's crazy how a parent could ignore his child's needs just for some good grades. This behavior is so unhealthy and it's crazy how many parents are obsessed over grades.

Great story!👍 It really shows what stress can do in your life if it's taken to an extreme. Parents and teachers have to hear more stories like this one to realize what happenes when they put pressure on their kids\ students.
:cool:

WOW...and WOW. I think that this essay is the best. This text has all, good remarks, good context, good spelling and a good story!
I see that you have been very conscientious!
Mark from me is 10/10 with *bravo*

Exquisite writing. The story never bored me out of reading it, although another ending could've been that she rebelled out but I like your version more. I appreciate the fact that you used academic words and kept the story pumped with an interesting path. I love the way you described her and how you built her as a character. Well-done! ;))))

The story reminds me of someone I know and used to admire but instead of being crazy is now very stuck up and thinks they are superior to everyone else. The way you wrote the story is beautifully entangled with the way you thought about someone you admired in your childhood or something like that and I appreciate that very much.

I really liked what you wrote. I agree with you. Unfortunately, many children and adolescents spend most of their time learning, but also meeting the expectations of their parents ... they are not looking for time for them. They don't know that they will regret it in the future. Life means more than books and school, it is about having fun, spending time with friends and family, but also with yourself.

wow, an ending I didn't expect. I can say that I really enjoyed reading your story but try in the future to have a happy ending, although you know how to finish in style :glasses:

You are here » Teacherovi's English Forum » Unpleasant » The crazy girl